Bluetooth beacons have been gaining popularity over the last few years as a powerful tool for indoor positioning and location-based services. Furthermore, they have transformed the way businesses interact with their customers by opening up new avenues for marketing, advertising, and information sharing. One of the most widely used Bluetooth beacons is the CC2540 from Texas Instruments. Therefore, in this blog, we’ll explore the features and benefits of the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon and discuss its potential applications.
Key features of CC2540 Bluetooth beacon
The CC2540 is a single Bluetooth Low Energy SoC from Texas Instruments. The CC2540 Bluetooth beacon is a low-power and high-performance solution that supports Bluetooth 4.0 and Bluetooth 5.0. It offers a broad range of features that make it a popular choice for various applications.
- Low power consumption:The CC2540 is designed to be power efficient, making it ideal for battery-powered applications. It consumes very little power in both active and idle modes, allowing beacons to run for extended periods without needing a battery replacement.
- Small Size:The CC2540 is a small chip that can be conveniently integrated into various devices. This makes it possible to build beacons that are small enough to be placed in inconspicuous locations, without compromising their performance.
- Bluetooth 5.0:The CC2540 is Bluetooth 5.0 compatible, which enables beacons that use the chip to function seamlessly with various devices such as smartphones, tablets, and other Bluetooth-enabled gadgets.
- Programmability:The CC2540 is programmable, allowing developers to customize the functionality of their beacons. This makes it possible to build beacons that are tailored to specific applications, such as asset tracking or indoor navigation.
- Low cost:The CC2540 BLE beacon is an affordable option compared to other Bluetooth beacons on the market, making it accessible to a wide range of applications and industries.
The block diagram of the CC2640 Bluetooth chip
Applications of CC2640 Bluetooth beacon
The CC2540 BLE beacon is a versatile, low-power, and affordable device that can transmit data over long distances, making it an ideal choice for many different low-energy solutions. Here are some of the applications of the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon:
- Retail: The CC2540 BLE beacon can be used in retail environments to provide customers with location-based information and promotions. By placing beacons throughout the store, customers using Bluetooth devices can be notified of sales and discount information when they come within range.
- Healthcare: In healthcare settings, the CC2540 Bluetooth Beacon can be used to track medical devices, monitor patients, and provide location-based services in hospitals and clinics.
- Traffic: CC2540 Bluetooth beacons can be used to track vehicles and provide real-time location information to improve the security of traffic networks.
- Manufacturing: The CC2540 Bluetooth beacon can be used to track assets, monitor processes, and improve production efficiency in manufacturing settings.
- Airports: CC2540 BLE solution can be used to provide passengers with information about their flight, gate directions and other relevant information.
Differences between CC2540, CC2540T, CC2541, CC2541-Q1
CC2540, CC2541, CC2540T and CC2541-Q1 are all wireless system-on-chip (SoC) solutions developed by Texas Instruments for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) applications. While these chips share many similarities, there are some key differences in terms of power consumption, peripherals and price. The choice of which SoC to adopt will rely on the particular requirements of the application.
Compared with CC2540, CC2541 has lower power consumption at the same transmit power and receive power, making it a better choice for battery-powered devices. However, higher power consumption means that the signal is relatively strong. The big difference in peripherals is that CC2541 has an IIC and no USB interface, while CC2540 has no IIC but a USB interface. In terms of price, CC2541 is cheaper than CC2540, but CC2541-Q1 is slightly more expensive than CC2540T. In addition, CC2541 has a special proprietary mode , while CC2540 does not.
|Date Rate (Max)
|RX Current (lowest)
|TX Power Max)
|-40℃ – 125℃
|-40℃ – 105℃
|1 comparator, 12-bit ADC 8-channel, 2 SPI, 2 UART, 4 timers, USB
|12-bit ADC 8-channel, 2 SPI, 2 UART, 4 timers, USB
|12-bit ADC 8-channel, 2 SPI, 2 UART, 4 timers, I2C
|12-bit ADC 8-channel, 2 SPI, 2 UART, 4 timers, I2C
|Approx. price (USD)
|US$1.910 | 1ku
|US$2.158 | 1ku
|US$1.840 | 1ku
|US$3.024 | 1ku
Why choose the CC2540 BLE beacon
The CC 2540 Bluetooth Beacon has been highly regarded since its launch for its low power consumption, making it a perfect choice for battery-powered devices. Beacons can last for several months to years on a single battery, which is a cost-effective solution, especially for businesses that need to deploy beacons in large numbers. As a versatile and powerful Bluetooth Low Energy solution, the CC2540 beacon offers numerous benefits and applications for a wide range of industries.
Whether you’re looking to improve the customer experience in a retail store, provide information to visitors in a museum, or track the location of medical equipment in a hospital, the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon is a powerful tool that can help you achieve your goals. In all, with its low power consumption, compatibility with various devices and platforms, and flexible configuration, it is an excellent choice for businesses and organizations searching to enhance customer engagement, improve safety, and increase efficiency.
FAQs about the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon
1. What is the range of the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon?
Typically, the range of the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon can extend up to 100 meters, but this may vary depending on the surrounding environment and other factors.
2. What is the battery life of the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon?
The battery life of the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon can vary depending on the usage and settings, but it can last from a few months to several years.
3. What kind of data can be transmitted by the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon?
The CC2540 Bluetooth beacon can transmit various types of Bluetooth data, such as sensor data, location data, and advertising messages.
4. How can I program the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon?
The CC2540 Bluetooth beacon can be programmed using software development kits (SDKs) provided by Texas Instruments or third-party tools.
5. Can the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon be used for indoor location tracking?
Yes, the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon can be used for indoor location tracking by using multiple beacons to triangulate the location of a device.
6. How secure is the CC2540 Bluetooth beacon?
The CC2540 Bluetooth beacon has several security features, such as encryption and authentication, to ensure the data transmitted is secure. However, additional security measures may be required depending on the use case.